Thursday 27 December 2012

So Christmas cleanup


There is something about Christmas
Something old
My tree top has adorned our family tree for as long as I can remember, as it is the Christmas angel with fibre glass hair that held high on the Christmas trees every year when we were kids, lighting up the foliage of ornaments collected through the years. I asked for this many times, and when mum was auctioning off things when papa passed away, I again asked. No one else thought anything of it. I found it and kept this memory with me. The years of packing and unpacking have worn a few edges bare, but she adorns my trees in her rightly place every Christmas as she did in my Christmases past. We kids gathered 'round the tree with our little doctor kits and  the little round candy pills, watching the Ed Sullivan.Show in Bedford so many years before. Randy with his little caboose train which actually blew smoke, and papa coming home late in the evening from work and waking us up and making his eggnog with cinnamon on top with nanny saying she just got us in bed.

Every year I buy a new ornament. Some tend to be traditional, others not so much. I have more MacDonald's toys as ornaments that are fun hanging on the tree. I think it was Burger King that had a large green Grinch as a toy one year, well he hangs on my tree  with a light bulb in the centre glazing through, I forgot his name, the trademark grin. it remains lit throughout the season.

The tree cloth has the names of people in our family, including cats, and even if they are not here in person, they hold in memory and kept close. I will have to add a few more names as it will be checked twice now. It is about 20 years or more old. Made of simple cloth, but apparently quite durable.




Here is Betty, her name, along with another will be added to the list. Betty came for a visit this Christmas after being away for a couple of years.

Something borrowed




Now it is back to cleaning up, gathering, and remembering Christmas past, present, and futures.
I have more boxes to go through. But not as many as before. Found ornaments I completely forgot about. Yes I keep receipts and finding my brass martini flask and martini glass brass ornaments just reminds me how far I go to keep them. Inside all curled around, and I wondered what it was, the receipt. So I rewound and replaced inside the flask to be forgot about again. So to all Merry Christmas and

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Something blue




No comments:

Post a Comment